8 COMMON LAPSES IN HOME SECURITY
- Hiding your home key under an entrance doormat because most burglars would check there first.
- Hiding keys anywhere else outside. Rather than that, consider giving your spare key to a neighbour if you are going to be away for a while.
- Leaving a Ladder accessible to burglars. Keep all windows locked from inside and ladders secure in a garage or locked shed.
- Using basic main entry doors and locks. Locks that are complicated and take a longer time to pick would discourage burglars.
- Providing too much coverage in your garden. You could be ambushed by burglars hiding behind large bushes, trees and other objects. Ensure you have a clear view of your entire garden.
- Poor external lighting. Burglars can easily blend into poorly lit areas and surprise you. Consider installing motion sensor lights outdoors.
- Leaving valuable items near the window. This is one of the oldest tricks burglars use. Keep portable valuables like laptops and phones away from the window.
- Leaving all the lights off while away. This is always a dead giveaway. Consider installing lights with timers instead so it give the impression someone is home.
Remember, when it comes to your home, you can never be too careful.