9 WAYS TO SAFE HANDLE CHEMICALS
Chemicals are a part of our daily lives but are laced with many hazards.
When used properly and in the way they were created for, most chemicals are safe and actually make life easier for us. Improper use leads to different degrees of injuries and loss.
Here’s how you can protect yourself and your team from the effects of wrongly using chemicals:
- All chemicals, without exception, should be labelled. Labelling should detail name, strength, manufacturer’s name, emergency information and expiry date.
- Create a detailed register of all chemicals used in your organization by the department. Note the quantity and location.
- Request Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) from the chemicals supplier and keep a proper record of all the datasheets. Staff should be adequately trained on how to read and identify chemicals listed on the MSDS.
- Follow handling instructions to the letter.
- Use recommended PPE always.
- Do not keep food or drink close to chemicals.
- Keep Flammable chemicals away from heat sources and direct sunlight.
- Follow instructions for mixing carefully.
- Always clean up thoroughly and wash your hands after handling chemicals.