Accident at work, also known as occupational accident, is a “discrete occurrence in the course of work” leading to physical or mental occupational injury. According to the International Labour Organization (ILO), more than 337 million accidents happen on the job each year, resulting, together with occupational diseases, with more than 2.3 million deaths annually.
Some simple accident-free tips recommended by Jullian Hall:
1. Always be alert on the job – Being awake and alert all the time while at work will not only prevent accidents from happening at work. It will also enhance the performance of the worker and can even earn him a promotion or a salary increase. Most of the people who become involved with accidents at work are those who feel sleepy while working.
2. Always wear required safety gear– A person who works in a factory has a greater chance of being involved in an accident at work. Thus, he should be more safety conscious by wearing proper uniforms and other protective garments when working. Never take safety to chance so always go to work with the proper dress code. If your work requires you to wear a hardhat helmet then wear it.
3. Listen and actively participate in emergency drills – Some workplaces conduct emergency drills to make sure their employees know what to do in cases of emergencies so as to avoid accidents. Some employees take this as another boring drill so they just look around and take it for granted.
4. Always ask your supervisor about the possible risks of doing a certain task – There are workers who are exposed to danger just by doing their regular workloads. A worker should always check with his supervisor if he is unsure about the task at hand or if he feels that doing that task will expose him to great danger.
5. Never take a high-risk job for which you have not been trained for – It is stupid for anyone to take on a high-risk job especially if he has not been trained for the job. Imagine an untrained person doing the job of a fireman? Doing this will not only expose you to a great danger but will expose other people to danger as well.
6. Never risk the health and safety of the employees – Profit may be the main motivation of a company but they should earn their keep without exposing their workers to hazard. Company owners should always prioritize the health and safety of their workers no matter what.